Deadline: 25th January 2009
Deadline: 25th January 2009
American Bird Conservancy (ABC), an international bird conservation organization, has an opening for a full-time Conservation Projects Specialist for the International Division based in The Plains, Virginia to assist in the development and management of bird conservation programs in Latin America.
The Conservation Projects Specialist position is an opportunity to work with a dynamic and productive team of committed conservationists on some of the most important bird conservation issues in the Americas. The Conservation Projects Specialist works with International Division staff and other ABC staff to manage ABC's field conservation projects focused on threatened
species, especially those at sites identified by the Alliance for Zero Extinction, and priority Neotropical migrants at sites across Latin America and the Caribbean. The position assists in seeking and obtaining funding for projects and requires excellent organizational and writing skills and knowledge of ABC's mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help to manage individual field conservation projects and/or components of major projects.
- Prepare site conservation plans and species conservation plans.
- Review and help refine technical reports from partners.
- Assist in the development of habitat and species-specific monitoring programs.
- Represent ABC in meetings with partners, other NGOs, and government agencies as needed for project management and development.
- Work with senior International Program staff and Development staff in the preparation of project proposals and reports.
- Undertake field visits to assess ongoing conservation projects.
- Communicate with ABC staff about International programs, produce articles for publications and website.
The successful candidate will have:
- An M.Sc. or B.Sc. degree in biological or environmental sciences, or combination of education and experience, especially in the areas of conservation planning, bird and/or habitat monitoring, and threats analysis.
- At least two years experience in conservation and/or research in Latin American and/or Caribbean.
- Knowledge of Neotropical migrant and resident birds preferred.
- Fluency in both English and Spanish is *required*. Portuguese desired.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel for significant periods of time, often in remote locations and at high elevation.
- Proficiency with computers and software.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately, while adhering to deadlines.
- Belief in and dedication to American Bird Conservancy's conservation mission.
- Good social and organizational skills and high energy and enthusiasm.
Send letter, resume, and references to Merrie Morrison, firstname.lastname@example.org 25 January 2009.